nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Level3 not honoring Broadwing contracts?

From: up () 3 am
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:08:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Chris Owen wrote:

On Apr 29, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Deepak Jain wrote:

But if you are looking for Level 3 to make any sense, you are going to
be waiting a long, long, long time with the rest of us.

They have never successfully "sold" much in their brief history. They
have successfully acquired lots, and lots, and lots of revenue and
then
burned it off fabulously quickly.

Yea, we were a Telcove customer and recently talked to our new Level3
salesperson (200 miles away).  He basically told us they wouldn't be
selling us anything new in the future (at any price) but it probably
wouldn't matter because they would also be "rerating" our colo charges
too.  This in a datacenter that is at least 1/2 empty.

The Broadwing Norristown facility is perhaps 25% used....a lot of empty
space there.  I have no idea what they are thinking...maybe Level 3 has
big plans for it, or wants it shut down, because it's hard to see how it's
profitable at a utilization rate that low.

It was clear from the conversation that he never considered for a
moment that we might actually pay the new rate.  He just assumed we
were gone as soon as it happened.  Obviously I don't have a business
degree because I don't understand the business model of buying up
business and then going out of your way to chase off their customers.
The Level3 higher ups must see something I don't.

This letter had the "director's" name, but no way to contact him.  No
phone number, no email address.  I basically had to make several phone
calls to find my rep, since my original BWing rep was long gone.>

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up () 3 am                                                          http://3.am