nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] [Nanog] P2P traffic optimization Was: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics [Was: Re: ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010]

From: Eric Osterweil <eoster () cs ucla edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:59:23 -0700

On Apr 24, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Keith O'Neill wrote:

The iTrackers just helps the nodes to talk to each other in a more
efficient way, all the iTracker does is talk to another p2p tracker
and
is used for network topology, has no caching or file information or
user
information..

After reading the P4P paper, it seems like the iTrackers have some
large implications.  Off the top of my head:
- - The paper says, "An iTracker provides... network status/
topology..." doesn't it seem like you wouldn't want to send this to
P2P clients?  Is the "PID" supposed to preserve privacy here?  I have
some doubts about how well the PID helps after exposing ASN and LOC.
- - As a P2P developer, wouldn't I be worried about giving the iTracker
the ability to tell my clients that their upload/download capacity is
0 (or just above)?  It seems like iTrackers are allowed to control
P2P clients completely w/ this recommendation, right?  That would be
very useful for an ISP, but a very dangerous DoS vector to clients.

These are just a couple of the thoughts that I had while reading.

Eric

Keith O'Neill
Pando Networks

Mike Gonnason wrote:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Michael Holstein