nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems sending mail from .mumble

From: Duane Wessels <wessels () packet-pushers com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

Is there an application that treats a local file specifier and a host specifier indistinguishably? If so, how does it deal with strings (like those I listed above) that could potentially be executables as well as domain names?

Looking at the 2007 DITL data (traces from DNS roots) its interesting
to see traffic for invalid TLDs that look just like filename
extensions.  For example:

% of all   TLD/
Queries    extension
---------- -----------
0.182       txt
0.055       htm
0.051       c
0.049       lib
0.041       jpg
0.026       gif
0.012       html
0.011       php
0.005       exe

(Note, those really are percentages.)

I have no idea what applications are behind them, but it indicates
that there is software out there that has a hard time telling the
difference between a filename and a hostname.  Or maybe its (ab)using
the DNS to help make the decision.

FWIW I was able to find one application, the text browser 'links,'
which accepts either filename or hostnames as its commandline
argument.  From what I can tell its algorithm is something like
this:

   - if tld/extension has two letters --> URL
   - if less than two letters --> File
   - if tld/extension is in list of known gTLDs --> URL
   - else --> File

DW