nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems sending mail to yahoo?

From: Peter Dambier <peter () peter-dambier de>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:07:37 +0200

Roger Marquis wrote:

Sounds like the party line inside Yahoo, but there are plenty of ISPs that
do a really good job of combating spam.  They do it with standard tools
like RBLs, Spamassassin, OCR, ClamAV and without ineffective diversions
like SPF or DKIM.

Seen from inside, it is not spamfilters but it is the routing table.
I have seen spam dropping by 98% when zerorouting some networks.

Nobody complained about false positives :)

But this is another story for the big ones. They might have customers.

The problem is that it is an art, not well documented (without reading
5 or 6 sendmail/postfix and anti-spam mailing lists for a several years),
is not taught in school (unlike systems and network administration), and
rarely gets measured with decent metrics.

That is true. Plus the rules are constantly changeing.

Not that spam really has much to do with network operations, well, except
perhaps for those pesky Netcool/Openview/Nagios alerts...

At the edge it does. It can bring your VoIP down and video on demand.

I know from campus networks who improved p2p service when zerorouting
networks known for sending spam.

Peter

--
Peter and Karin Dambier