nanog mailing list archives

Re: PKI operators anyone?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:58:19 -0400

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:43:06 -0400
Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com> wrote:

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
The question about root key lifetime turns not just on the security
issues but on how easy it is to change the root key, either
routinely or in event of a compromise.  To a first approximation,
no certificate acceptor *ever* changes its notion of root keys.  In
that case, the question is how many acceptors you have, what their
lifetime is, and how easily you can be one of the rare people who
does change the root. That's why browsers have long-lived
certificates built in -- that list rarely changes.  You suggest an
80-year lifetime for your root key. How many of your current
devices do you expect to be using in 80 years?  I thought so...
Hopefully none, at half-life. Thats the point.

I'd be surprised if very many devices lasted more than 10 years.

Beyond that, at this point I would not issue any certificates that
expire after 03:14:07 UTC on Jan 19, 2038.  Doing otherwise is just
asking for trouble.  The reason is left as an exercise for the
reader.
This is actually a good point. Epoch rollover? Are you suggesting
that any cert set to expire after the epoch may tickle issues now?

I think the odds of trouble are very high.  A naive implementation will
convert the expiration date to a time_t -- a signed int, as best I can
tell, on many platforms -- and compare it to time(NULL).  To such code,
very long-lived certificates have already expired.  (Aside: somewhere
at home, I have a T-shirt that says, roughly, "Y2K?  No problem.  Jan
19, 2038?  Help!")  I'm sure that some code does it properly today.
I'm morally certain that other code doesn't...