nanog mailing list archives

Re: Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:11:41 +1000 (EST)

In article <2d106eb50709202254q6f4ea4b7v6beda6deee5f7143 () mail gmail com> you write:

On 9/15/07, Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org> wrote:
[spam: Check http://www.sixxs.net/misc/toys/ for an IPv6 Toy Gallery :)]

Somewhat long, hopefully useful content follows...

Barrett Lyon wrote:
[..]

[ clip ]

Of course when there is only a A or AAAA only that protocol will be
used. All applications are supposed to use getaddrinfo() which sorts
these addresses per the above specification, the app should then
connect() to them in order, fail/timeout and try the next one till it

Since when is a timeout on the Internet ok?  Haven't we moved beyond
that?

        You mean to say you get 100% connectivity with IPv4?

This is a controllable timeout. We don't have to do it, which is
the point. What's the right way to do this?

Thank you, and thank you Barret for starting the thread. :-)

-M<

        I've been running dual stacked for 5 years with a trans
        pacific tunnel to HE (10 hops).  While there have been the
        occasional glitch I don't see much difference between IPv4
        and IPv6.

        Work has also been running dual stacked.  I very rarely fall
        back to IPv4, and given my usage patterns I do notice when
        IPv6 connectivity fails.

        Looping through the addresses as returned by getaddrinfo is
        a reasonable strategy.

        Mark