nanog mailing list archives

Good Stuff [was] Re: shameful-cabling gallery of infamy - does anybody know where it went?

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:01:37 -0700

vinny () tellurian com wrote:
Scott Weeks wrote:
--- streiner () cluebyfour org wrote: -------------
Note that telcos are not immune to shoddy cabling/installation work.
<snip>
http://www.cluebyfour.org/~streiner/mbr-pop-2000-ladder.JPG

Do that at the telco in Hawaii and you won't be working here very long.  ;-)  The installation work and wiring here
is something to swoon over.

One of the stranger things a field tech of ours encountered wasn't necessarily bad wiring (although it's not great),
but the fact that the demarc was located next to the toilet in the bathroom. Naturally, the constant humidity caused
bad corrosion problems and other issues with their telco services. :) So as a general rule of thumb, avoid putting your
telco and/or network gear next to the crapper or the services the equipment is meant to provide might also stink.

http://users.tellurian.com/vabello/bathroom-demarc.jpg

It was brought to my attention that some of the folks here may not have ever seen good wiring, so I snapped a few
photos of good wiring here and wrote a quickie web page for the photos.  I couldn't get pictures of Ethernet wiring,
but it's the same.  Except the last photo, it's all wax string done very neatly.  This is the goal.  ;-)

http://mauigateway.com/~surfer/wiring.html

scott