nanog mailing list archives

Re: 240/4

From: Alain Durand <alain_durand () cable comcast com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:53:58 -0600

On 10/18/07 2:24 PM, "Joe Greco" <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:

Actually, though, I have a better solution.  Let's ask the IETF to revise
an RFC, and define the first octet of an IPv4 address as being from 0-
65535.  That's asking the IETF to revise an RFC, too, such request being
just as practical as what you suggest, and yet I'd say that the overall
solution is just as likely to work well as IPv4-240+.  It'd probably
also solve the transition to IPv6 issue; we wouldn't need to.

Or simply ask IANA to open up 256/5. After all, this is just an entry in a
table, should be easy to do, especially if it is done on Apr 1st. ;-)

  - Alain.