nanog mailing list archives

RE: Creating demand for IPv6

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:39:10 +0100

If you run a web site and only have IPv6 access via 6to4, you
SHOULD NOT publish a AAAA record. 6to4 has very few gateways
and they get clogged at various times of the day. If you
publish a AAAA record, every user who has IPv6 will first try
to connect to you via IPv6 and experience a -long- delay.

This is precisely why someone else on the list suggested that the
content provider should run their own 6to4 relay and anounce 2002::/16
to their IPv6 peers. That way, the IPv6 packets take the direct IPv6
route to the content provider, and the IPv4 path is just a stub in the
content provider's network. Admittedly, if the IPv6 path itself has
issues due to poor peering, poor bandwidth, neglected routing, that will
rear its ugly head.

If you care to wager, I'll take some of that action. Without
a relatively transparent mechanism for IPv6-only hosts to
access IPv4-only sites this isn't going to happen. We don't
have such a mechanism built and won't have it deployed in 12 months.

What about these two?
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Transitioning:_6to4
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Transitioning:_NAT-PT

Have you tried both of these yourself?