nanog mailing list archives

RE: TCP and WAN issue

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:11:08 +0100

I have an east coast and west coast data center connected
with a DS3. I am running into issues with streaming data via
TCP and was wondering besides hardware acceleration, is there
any options at increasing throughput and maximizing the
bandwidth?

Use GigE cards on the servers with a jumbo MTU and only buy IP network
access from a service provider who supports jumbo MTUs end-to-end
through their network.

How can I overcome the TCP stack limitations
inherent in Windows (registry tweaks seem to not functions too well)?

Install a pair of Linux servers and use them to send/receive the data
over the WAN.

Also, do some googling for Internet Speed Record and read pages like
this one:
http://www.internet2.edu/lsr/history.html

And read up on scaling MTI size with bandwidth here:
http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/MTU/arguments.html

--Michael Dillon