nanog mailing list archives

Re: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:15:43 -0700

On Mar 13, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

So long as most torrent clients are used to share content illicitly, that doesn't sound like much of a business driver for the DSL/CATV ISP. And so long as the average user doesn't have an alternative provider which gives better torrent sharing capabilities, there doesn't seem to be much of a risk of churn because of being torrent-unfriendly

er, that's why I put a smiley below it.  Like this:

;>

In all seriousness, DVR-on-demand type services offered by the SPs themselves would be one driver. Right now, they're all overlay networks which the SPs don't view as being directly monetizable. If/ when they offer such services themselves, however, I, predict this will change.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> // 408.527.6376 voice

        Words that come from a machine have no soul.

                      -- Duong Van Ngo