nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

From: Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:55:51 +0100

On 28 Jun 2007, at 19:17, Donald Stahl wrote:

The problem is twofold. First, if Google isn't going to index IPv6 content, no one cares if their content isn't available that way.

That's the thing .. google's crawlers and search app runs at layer 7, v6 is an addressing system that runs at layer 3. If we'd (the community) got everything right with v6, it wouldn't matter to Google's applications whether the content came from a site hosted on a v4 address, or a v6 address, or even both.

I don't think we have got everything right at all.