nanog mailing list archives

Re: where the wizards stay up late

From: Mark Smith <nanog () fa1c52f96c54f7450e1ffb215f29991e nosense org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:00:32 +0930

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:16:43 -0500
"Travis H." <travis+ml-nanog () subspacefield org> wrote:

Not sure if this guy is still with us, but wanted to read "Confessions
of a Hearing-Impaired Engineer", if anyone has a copy.

I think you're probably talking about Vint Cerf, and he's still quite live, and
now working for Google :

http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html#vint

You might be able to email him to see if he wrote that paper (IIRC he
did) and may have a copy he can send you. A google search(!) should
probably produce a working email address. He may even lurk here.

BTW, "Where Wizards Stay up Late" is an entertaining book about the
origins of the ARPAnet.  It even has some of the first (hand-drawn,
natch) network diagrams...

Apparently, nuclear holocaust considerations did not really play much
of a part in ARPAnet's genesis, despite folklore to the contrary.
Withstand a nuclear war was not a design consideration (for most of
the key players); any such properties were side effects of the real
design considerations and decisions.

Agree, great book, I think it should be manditory reading for anybody
who's running any parts of Internet. I think it always is useful to
know why certain things are the way they are.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."