nanog mailing list archives

Re: Software or PHP/PERL scripts for simple network management?

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:54:34 +0100

david raistrick wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 alex () pilosoft com wrote:

information (i.e. source of all data). Canonical data is in
routing/forwarding tables on routers/switches. That's the operational
reality.

The amount of data that you need to track IP allocations just doesn't
fit
well into DNS - there's no place to store customer id/service id, the
length of allocation (is this IP part of a /28? /29?), etc. So you'll
have
to have "canonical data" somewhere else anyway.

You've never used comments in your dns?  I have yet to figure out how
to insert a comment into my routing tables that tells me what a
routing entry is for,
Communities ;-)

--
Leigh