nanog mailing list archives

Re: FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:07:39 +0100

In article <20070615141750.22A0E4B6 () resin11 mta everyone net>, Scott Weeks <surfer () mauigateway com> writes
If Joe Sixpack has a Mac, calls his ISP for help, is told the ISP only supports Micro$loth, asks for escalation and can't get that (or even doesn't ask for escalation) I would think Joe would move to another ISP. Thus my earlier statement that the ISP which does this we-support-Micro$loth-only crazyness is doomed to failure.

No, they are only doomed to service the 90% (or whatever) of the market that is running that particular software.

I'm surprised no-one has said it's largely a training issue: you can have people on the helpline who are experienced at talking customers through issues on a well know and well understood (warts and all) platform, but when the customer is using something with minority market penetration it gets really difficult really quickly.
--
Roland Perry