nanog mailing list archives

RE: 24x7 Support Strategies

From: Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald () austinenergy com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:05:05 -0500

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 23:45 +0100, michael.dillon () bt com wrote:

When the university education system reached the form that it has today,
they tried to weed out this type of person by requiring a doctoral
candidate to pass through the gauntlet of oral exams in front of a panel
of recognized experts in the field. Certification programs don't include
that step so we must do it ourselves at job interview time.

The CCIE Lab used to be like an oral exam.  Two days, pretty much
one-on-one with two proctors.  There were four guys in the facility when
I took the lab, and I didn't see them at all other than the 30 minute
orientation to the lab and for an hour at supper (supervised by the
proctors).  I understand it has shrunk significantly now.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy