nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level(3) filtering (was Yahoo outage summary)

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:10:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Kevin Epperson wrote:

There is some misinformation in previous posts that I would like to
clarify on the Level 3 side of things.

and I'd apologize for hinting that that might be the problem :(

Level 3's own registry and known public route registries.  As several
folks have pointed out there are minimal checks for the validity of the
source information.

this was what bit panix/edison I believe... :(

As an aside I see an increase in the number of downstreams asking for
as-path filtering or *no* filtering usually with justifications of ISP X
doesn't require us to register routes or just does as-path filtering.  In
my opinion that is bad news for everyone as documented in numerous
BCPs, presentations and route-leaks.

agreed, there is this trend, it's disturbing :( (to me atleast) In the
number of customer conversations I've had about this it's always sort of
surprising that people think it's 'ok' to not have a prefix-list :( cause,
guess what: "if you don't have one and they don't have one... THEY will
get you eventually"