nanog mailing list archives

Re: San Francisco Power Outage

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis () wgops com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:06:42 -0600

--On July 24, 2007 7:57:28 PM -0400 Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick () zill net> wrote:

On Jul 24, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

I have a question: does anyone seriously accept "oh, power trouble"
as a reason your servers went offline? Where's the generators? UPS?
Testing said combination of UPS and generators? What if it was
important? I honestly find it hard to believe anyone runs a
facility like that and people actually *pay* for it.

Sad that the little Telcove DC here in Lancaster, PA, that Level3 bought
a few months ago, has weekly full-on generator tests where 100% of the
load is transferred to the generator, while apparently large DCs that are
charging premium rates, do not.

There's graceful startup testing, then there's dark start testing. During a recent dark start test one of the other customers in the facility I'm in found out their Juniper was not even plugged into their batteries.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick () zill net

--