nanog mailing list archives

Re: iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

From: "Prof. Robert Mathews (OSIA)" <mathews () hawaii edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:27:08 -0400

Hank, Warren, & Fellow Nanogers:

Looking at this issue with an *'interoperability lens,'* I remain puzzled by a personal observation that at least in the publicized case of Duke University's Wi-Fi net being effected, the "ARP storms" did not negatively impact network operations UNTIL the presence of iPhones on campus. The nagging point in my mind therefore, is: why have other Wi-Fi devices (laptops, HPCs/PDAs, Smartphones etc.,) NOT caused the 'type' of ARP flooding, which was made visible in Duke's Wi-Fi environment? Why did this issue become MOST prominent with the introduction of Apple's iPhone on campus?

In that sense, my *original question* regarding iPhone's 'unique' operational circumstance(s) will have/need to be considered. Initial analysis tells me that we may not be far into that aspect but, we might need to...
Again, I wish to thank you for the responses.

All my best,
Robert.