nanog mailing list archives

Re: An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:33:19 +0000

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 01:41:18AM -0400, Durand, Alain wrote:

John,

Thank you for writing this down, this will help start the discussion.

One of the things that is missing IMHO is that there is no clear vision
of what the IPv6 Internet will/should looks like. Let me focus on the
residential
broadband for a minute, I'm fully aware there are other cases, but let's
start somewhere.

1) What is the IPv6 'service'?
   For example, is it reasonable to define a 'basic' level
   service as web+mail and an 'extended' service as everything else?

        actually, for some of us there is the thought that before
        the "basic" service of web+email can work at all, one needs
        to have a couple of other infrastructure pieces in play,
        namely DNS and NTP... Oh, and the routing to knit these
        services together.

--bill