nanog mailing list archives

Re: How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:35:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
Although this seems to be the first bit mistake in over two years, does
that make the practice unacceptable as another tool to respond to Bots?

The practice of blocking public EFnet servers?

As I've said multiple times, sometimes mistakes happen and the wrong
things end up on a list.  I doubt that was the intent.

Many people have suggested blocking C&C servers used by bots over the
years.

There's a difference between blocking actual C&C servers and blocking
general IRC servers that are incidentally being used as C&C servers.

Yes, when there are better solutions to the problem at hand.

Please enlighten me.

Intercept and inspect IRC packets.  If they join a botnet channel, turn on
a flag in the user's account.  Place them in a garden (no IRC, no nothing,
except McAfee or your favorite AV/patch set).

Wow, I didn't even have to strain myself.

... JG