nanog mailing list archives

Re: who was the last legit spammer?

From: Matthew Black <black () csulb edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 06:58:05 -0800

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:30:09 -0500 (EST)
 Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Travis H. wrote:

Hey, was discussing something from the long distant past recently.
Specifically it was my memory of the last legitimate spamhaus,
and how (IIRC) their backbone was DDoS'd as an act of pseudo-vigilante
justice.  I also seem to remember their backbone as spinning it
as a content-neutral free-speech kind of thing, but they buckled
and the Internet was probably better off.

"Legit spammer"? Perhaps you're thinking of Sanford Wallace's cyberpromo and AGIS?

http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9710/msg00018.html

Kanter & Seagal's Green Card spam? I think they were the first
wide-spread spam. Anyone recall the year/date? I'm thinking 1993.

matthew black
network services
california state university, long beach