nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Video: The Next Wave of Massive Disruption to the US Peer ing Ecosystem (v1.2)

From: "William B. Norton" <bill.norton () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:21:48 -0800

On 1/9/07, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
:
Just as an observation, it appears to me (at least) that the
most popular method of video distribution today is via GooTube. :-)

I think it remains to be seen that that model will actually change
dramatically to more of a "semi- real-time" model, regardless of
the desires (or fears) of various vendors or operators.

Hmm...I should have been more clear. I'm comparing the options a video
guy has : buy transit to distribute the videos, buy CDN services, buy
a mix or transit and peering, or use P2P. I have sample configurations
and cost models for each, and cost them in units of $/video
distributed for side to side comparison.

From the reviews and discussions it was interesting how entrenched and
enraged some people became when the p2p distribution model costed out
to be the cheapest by far:

Models  A:10 videos/5 min       B: 100/5min     C: 1000/5min
1: Transit      1A: $0.60
1B: $0.36
1C: $0.20

2: CDN  2A: $0.77