nanog mailing list archives

RE: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

From: "Bora Akyol" <bora () broadcom com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:01:34 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Gian Constantine
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 7:27 PM
To: Thomas Leavitt
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a
day, continuously?

My contention is simple. The content providers will not allow
P2P video as a legal commercial service anytime in the near
future. Furthermore, most ISPs are going to side with the
content providers on this one. Therefore, discussing it at
this point in time is purely academic, or more so, diversionary.

I don't think they have a choice really. The state of the art in
application aware QoS/rate shaping is so behind the times that by the
time it caught, the application would have changed.

Bora