nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

From: "Alexander Harrowell" <a.harrowell () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:34:44 +0000

Michael Dillon said:

The word "multicast" in the above quote, does not refer
to the set of protocols called "IP multicast". Content
delivery networks (CDNs) like Akamai are also, inherently,
a form of multicasting. So are P2P networks like BitTorrent
and EMule.

That's precisely what I mean.

Marshall Eubanks said: I have heard that several big mobile providers are
shortly going to
come out with 802.16 networks in support (I
assume) of point 3

I don't know whether Sprint Nextel's big 802.16e deployment is going to be
used for this, although their keenness on video/TV argues for it. A wide
range of technologies are in prospect, including DMB, DAB-IP, DVB-H,
Qualcomm's MediaFLO and IPWireless's TDTV.

These are radio broadcast systems of various kinds - MediaFLO and TDTV are
adaptations of 3G mobile technologies, from the CDMA2000 world and UMTS
respectively. TDTV, the one I am most familiar with, is essentially a
UMTS-TDD network with all the timeslots set to  send (from the base
station's viewpoint). 3GPP and 3GPP2 are standardising a Multimedia
Broadcast-Multicast Subsystem as an add-on to the R99 core network, expected
in 2008.

From an IP perspective, most of these are fairly orthogonal, being
essentially alternative access networks on the other side of the MBMS
control function.