nanog mailing list archives

Re: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:16:37 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:

If you see IPv6 as a solution to the exhaustion of IPv4 space, take a
look at http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/. It may help at some
point, but many of us see no clear way to get from here to there without
massive growth in both the RIB and the FIB in the process.

I am actually more concerned with the CPE problem and how to make autoconfiguration work for end users.

For instance, should we assign /64 to end users and have them do whatever they need (subnet to /80 if they need more than one network)? We need to provision routes in whatever routers connect to customers, which I guess is the FIB/RIB-problem mentioned above?

Is there general agreement that IPv6 requires a router at the customer prem to scale (ISP doesn't want to know what the end user devices are)? Also, is it ok to statically assign /64 to end user or should end user be able to switch addresses (some like dynamic IPs because it's not persistant over time and like the "privacy" you get by changing IP all the time).

I haven't been able to find a BCP regarding the end user equipment and how to configure it, does anyone have any pointers?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se