nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:02:04 +0900

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Randy Bush wrote:
the "but what if they want the toaster on a separate subnet from the
blender" gives a new depth to 'reaching.'  the one case i can think of
for firewalling/routing within the home is to keep the bathroom scale
from locking the fridge.
If ipv6 subnetting is going to be hosed up at this point it's going to
be done by people deploying it.

unfortunately, 'hosed up' only seems to be understood some years out.

smb's point is apt, we always end up too small.

but i still have a very hard time understanding what we are gonna do
with more than a /56 to a consumer connection.

and if i start to go to the left of a /56, where do i stop?  there is no
obvious detent on the knob.

randy