nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: Ross Vandegrift <ross () kallisti us>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:23:17 -0500

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 01:33:15PM -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:
For example... Within one's own network (or subnet if you will) we can
absorb all the concepts of V4 today and have lots of space available.
For example... for the DMZ of a business... Why not give them 6 bits
(/122?) are we anticipating topology differences UPSTREAM from the
customers that can take advantage of subnet differences between /64 and
/56 ?

I am confused on this point as well.  IPv6 documents seem to assume
that because auto-discovery on a LAN uses a /64, you always have to
use a /64 global-scope subnet.  I don't see any technical issues that
require this though.  ICMPv6 is capable of passing info on prefixes of
any length -  prefix length is a plain old 8bit field.

In fact, until I read the ARIN documents to receive an assignment at
work, I assumed this would be how people would operate.  So what's the
concern?  Give all end users a /64 and let them subnet that as they
see fit.  If DHCPv6 would take care of it automatically with shorter
prefixes, that's fine - I doubt it cares if it's doling out info for a
/56, /64, or /96.  Not like anything on the public internet is going to
care a lick either.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross () kallisti us