nanog mailing list archives

Re: "2M today, 10M with no change in technology"? An informal survey.

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:08:49 -0700

Jon,

On Aug 27, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
Any reasonably valid way of predicting when we'll hit 244,000 routes in the default-free zone?
Real Soon Now?

According to Geoff, the BGP table is growing at around 3500 routes per month, so we're looking at blowing out MSFC2s in about 3 months if nothing changes.

And here I was, wondering about 2M routes...

Unlike Y2K, the end of the useful service life up the Sup2 can easily be pushed further away in time.

"Easy" is, I suspect, in the mind of the route injector.

There's really only 151129 routes you need to have "full routes". Forcing just these top 4 slobs to aggregate reduces your global table by 3619 routes.

~1 more month.

Forcing the top 30 to aggregate frees up 15809 routes.

~3 more months.

Of course there are other reasons to upgrade (better CPU, MPLS, IPv6, etc.), but if you can't upgrade, there are alternatives to stretch the old hardware.

For a few more months. What are upgrade cycles like again? How common are the MSFC2s?

It's not like it hasn't been done before.

Yep. The nice thing about repeating history is you have a good idea of the whinage that you're in store for.

"CIDR Wars 2.0: This Time It's For Real! No, really. We mean it this time."

:-)

Regards,
-drc

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused ..." -- Elvis Costello