nanog mailing list archives

Re: Market for diversity (was: Re: Cogent latency / congestion)

From: Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:50:22 +0100

Hi, David, everyone --

On 21 Aug 2007, at 17:55, David Lesher wrote:

And still not getting it. A friend oversees various expensive USG
networks. They pay for physically diverse routing from multiple
sources. Yet every year, when they do an laborious audit down to
the "what fiber, in what bundle, in what trench" level; they find..
Guess What! Yep, someone has moved this circuit or that one to
where both pipes are intimate neighbors.

Is it not possible to require that each of your suppliers provide over a specified path ? I'm planning a build-out that will require a diverse path between two points, and one supplier has named two routes, and promised that they wont change for the duration of the contract. Perhaps I am naive, but a promise should be a promise.

Also instead of buying path A from supplier X and path B from supplier Y, it might be worth buying paths A and B from supplier X and a spare path B from supplier Y too. Supplier X must know they only get dollar N because they can provide both paths.. and in addition diversity has to matter more than money because you are in effect paying for one path twice.

Andy

-a

--
//  http://www.andyd.net/