nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Operations Guide

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 03:46:01 -0400

My experience suggests to me that four hours of real, solid database
design up front is worth approximately two weeks of re-engineering and
compatibility development after about a year.  This is no
exaggeration: the problems of badly normalized data are really bad

My god man, that's crazy talk. Planning ahead? Designing for growth? If we did that, what would Operations people do except check off fields in this "toolset" you propose thinking about before implementation!?! Reducing TCO and improving uptimes. Madness, I say.

:_)

To be useful, someone in the organization needs to sit down with the hired designer and describe what kind of data needs to be kept, what kind of questions the business needs demand answers for ("How many available /24s do we have? How many /30s? How long has it been since 50% of our customer base has had its contact information verified?) If you follow Alice down this rabbit hole, you will eliminate 95% (or more) of your operational and communications problems -- irrespective of how you store the data. If you combine that with ILM (Information Lifetime Management) of this knowledge, you could be at high 90s for several years at a time before needing to plumb entropy.

DJ