nanog mailing list archives

Re: Extreme congestion (was Re: inter-domain link recovery)

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:40:21 -0700

On Aug 15, 2007, at 8:39 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

Or would it be better to let the datagram protocols fight it out with the session oriented protocols, just like normal Internet operations

Session protocol start packets (TCP SYN/SYN-ACK, SCTP INIT, etc) 1% queue
  Everything else (UDP, ICMP, GRE, TCP ACK/FIN, etc) normal queue

And finally why only do this during extreme congestion? Why not always
do it?

I think I would always do it, and expect it to take effect only under extreme congestion.