nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Block 99/8 (DHS insanity - offtopic)

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:14:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Mike Tancsa wrote:

At 04:52 PM 4/23/2007, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
I do not want any particular gov't (US or otherwise) to be "in
charge" of the Internet any more than the next person.  And good
thing too, because it simply cannot happen, political pipe-dreams not
withstanding.

But what has that got to do with the DHS promoting an idea to sign IP
space allocations and/or annoucements?  The idea in-and-of-itself
doesn't sound wholly unreasonable.  (I am not advocating this, just
saying the idea shouldn't be rejected without consideration simply
because the DHS said it.)

The question is who would do the signing and revocations. Whoever
does that would indeed have a great amount of control over the
internet.  A single government agency should not have that sort of
power to make a (for lack of better term), "no surf list" of IP space...

I think the strawman proposals so far were something like:

1) iana has 'root' ca-cert
2) iana signs down certs for RIR's
3) RIR's sign down certs for LIR's
4) LIR's sign down certs for 'users' (where 'users' is probably
address-space users, like corporations or end-sites)

This seemed not-too-insane, and would give ISP/operator type folks that
ability to easily and quickly verify that:

157.242.0.0/16 is in point of fact permitted to originate by the org-id: LMU-1

with some level of authority... It's nothing really more than that.

-Chris
(who did spend some conference-room time with patrick/woody/doug/others
talking about this very problem)