nanog mailing list archives

RE: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:03:53 +0100

No, I doubt it will change.  The CRC algorithm used in Ethernet is
already strained by the 1500-byte-plus payload size.  802.3
won't extend
  to any larger size without running a significant risk of the CRC
algorithm failing.

I believe this has already been debunked.

 From a practical side, the cost of developing, qualifying,
and selling
new chipsets to handle jumbo packets would jack up the cost of inside
equipment.  What is the payback?  How much money do you save going to
jumbo packets?

I believe that the change is intended to apply to routers and the
ethernet switches that interconnect them in PoPs and NAPs and exchange
points. Therefore the cost of a small chipset modification is likely to
be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

As for numbers, it is not dollar figures that I want to see. I would
like the people who have jumbo packets inside their end-user networks to
run some MTU discovery and publish a full MTU matrix on all paths on the
Internet. That way we can all see where there is end-to-end support for
large MTUs and people who want to make buying decisions on this basis
will have something other than vendor assurances to show that a network
supports jumbograms.

--Michael Dillon