nanog mailing list archives

Re: Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:17:42 +0100

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Frank Bulk wrote:

It truly is a wonder that Comcast doesn't apply DOCSIS config file
filters
on their consumer accounts, leaving just the IPs of their email servers
open.  Yes, it would take an education campaign on their part for all
the
consumers that do use alternate SMTP servers, but imagine how much
work it
would save their abuse department in the long run.

There are several large ISPs (millions of subscribers) that have done
away with TCP/25 altogether. If you want to send email thru the ISPs
own email system you have to use TCP/587 (SMTP AUTH).

Yes, this takes committment and resources, but it's been done
successfully.

You don't even need to do that. We just filter TCP/25 outbound and force
people to use our mail servers that have sensible rate limiting etc.
People who use alternate SMTP servers can fill in a simple web form to
have them added to the exception list. We have about 50 on this list so far.

--
Leigh Porter