nanog mailing list archives

Re: TCP receive window set to 0; DoS or not?

From: billn () billn net
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:04:58 -0700 (MST)

I've been seeing some systems that stop serving pages, and I also see
the Linux "Treason Uncloaked!" kernel messages that indicate a remote
system reduced its rcv win from 1 to 0... is there a non-malicious
explanation for this, aside from a remote host running out of socket
buffers?  Seems to happen too often for that to be the case, and
my googling has shown that it may be outside of spec.  Certainly
the warning is clear enough...

I've seen this, quite a bit, on some heavy traffic web clusters. Some
impolite web browsers will shrink the TCP window to kill the socket
connection instead of a proper fin/reset.

- billn