nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why is RFC1918 space in public DNS evil?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:15:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Fred Baker wrote:

I know the common wisdom is that putting 192.168 addresses in a
public zonefile is right up there with kicking babies who have just
had their candy stolen, but I'm really struggling to come up with
anything more authoritative than "just because, now eat your
brussel sprouts".

I think the best answer to that is to turn it on its head.

As Joe points out, exposing interior information unnecessarily is a
security risk - leaving a treasure map with "X marks the spot"
invites pirates of all sorts. In this case, it is not only exposing
interior information (the.host.you.want.to.attack.example.com)
unnecessarily, but also in a way that doesn't actually help anyone
else. The address of my telephone is 10.32.244.220. But do a
traceroute to that address (ar the address of my family computer,
which is 192.168.1.20), and I about guarantee that you will come to a
different computer, for the simple reason that you aren't in any of
my private domains.

A good illustration would be:
firewall.*
firewall2.*
radius.*
exchange.*

Etc. Which are not necessarily accesible from the orld.

So putting those addresses in the public DNS actually *only* helps me
if I am someone who is bombarding your prophylactic defenses with
messages intended to reach your chewy innards. Anyone else has no
actual use for the internal addresses.

I think the right question for your client is: "why exactly did you
want to do that?"