nanog mailing list archives

Re: kW Per Rack.

From: Will Hargrave <will () harg net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:05:44 +0100

Robert Sherrard wrote:

How many of you are currently cooling 7kW+ per cabinet.. are any of you cooling more than 15kW per rack, if so how large is your footprint? Are any of you using water cool racks, by tapping into house water?

We are cooling 15KW/rack for high performance computing using the Trox CO2 system:

http://www.modbs.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/1735/The_next_generation_of_cooling__for_computer_rooms.html

http://www.troxaitcs.co.uk/aitcs/solutions/co2_mcc/index.php

Obviously this is a very new technology for the moment but I think our experiences have been favourable. I'm not an expert but I think we reject heat directly outside (300KW plant) but they also have systems designed to exchanged directly into building chilled water.

Will