nanog mailing list archives

Re: ip reclamation was Re: Kremen's Buddy?

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:09 -1000

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william () elan net>

The fact that there is a lot of space
assigned/allocated >> and not used   in any easily
observable way is well known >> to those who track the
address exhaustion issue, I >> think.

How much, though, is used, but not routed publically?

  Simple math from above:
  Allocated & Not Routed: 3118838 (/24 blocks) - 21%

I believe I wasn't clear.  I meant to say, what fraction of
this is in actual use, but not publically routed as opposed
to the percent allocated and not in use, say, by defunct
companies.

Something that has been brought up from time to time
here. It's not easily observable, but allowed.

Not easily observable means some ip blocks maybe used but
are not  adverised in public BGP. This is a bit of an
issue with certain part of US Gov.

This is what I was getting at, but you've given an upper
bound (21%) and I'm positive it's not even close to that.
Still, it reduces the 21% to a amaller number.

scott