nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OT] Connexion {Was: Re: [routing-wg]BGP Update Report}

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:04:35 -0400

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 12:24:52PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:08:56 -0500, Netfortius <netfortius () gmail com>
wrote:

Just wondering this, myself. I travel fairly frequently between US and Europe,
and Lufthansa was recently my choice, exclusively because of this service.
Perhaps with the interdiction of computing devices on board (have not
travelled since the UK incident, so I am not sure if the new rules of flying
naked affect all flights?!?) there won't - obviously - be much of a need for
an Internet connection ...

The main issue, from what I read, is that too few airlines followed suit.
In particular, most American airlines were far too strapped financially to
invest in the necessary equipment.

Duh. Did you ever read the numbers for Connexion? They managed to design a
system which cost the airlines up to $1mil per plane to install, and only
generated $80k/yr/plane total revenue (thats Boeing revenue not airline
revenue). They had an opex of something like $150mil/yr on total revenue
of $11mil/yr.

Obviously there is no such thing as an FAA certified $50 Linksys WRT54G,
but it never fails to amaze me how people are utterly shocked when reality
catches up with their wild, unchecked, and stupid spending. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras