nanog mailing list archives

Re: CWDM equipment (current favorites) (fwd)

From: alex () pilosoft com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:48:07 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Deepak Jain wrote:

A few years ago, NANOG had a discussion regarding various CWDM vendors.
Repeatedly MRV was brought up as a good option for metro-area LAN type
applications.
There's been some discussions more recently, such as (coauthored by yours
truly):
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0606/pdf/lightning-talks/4-pilosov.pdf
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0610/presenter-pdfs/pilosov.pdf

Since then, I have actually touched some of the MRV product line
personally and found it (and their customer support)... less than ideal.
(not comparing to anyone else, and no one is really ideal).

The bigger problem was that the devices seem to be less than intuitive,
but rock solid once they are working. (which is what everyone praised
them for).
Passive CWDM gear is pretty much all created equal as far as intuitiveness
in how to connect it (assuming gear is non-broken). You have muxes, you
have SFPs/GBICs, and you plug GBIC output into the mux input. :)

As far as the SFP/GBIC quality, I think MRV is very good. At one point,
(maybe even still) Cisco OEM'd MRV gbics under their brand (and with
attendant 1000% markup). You can also look at cubo and infineon optics,
good quality at reasonable price.

Be wary about chiwanese vendors - quality is questionable: high DOA rate,
output light level and input sensitivity vary from one module to another.

Pricewise, you might find that cubo isn't *that* much more expensive than
chiwanese gear. Also, there's market (like, again, from yours truly) of
the new-in-box MRV gear, which may also be an option.

We need to place a new order for some new fiber builds and were
considering some other vendors. Especially in the nx2.5G and nx10G (are
CWDM x-cievers even available in 10G yet?) range. Anyone have any new
favorites?
2.5G are only slightly more expensive than 1G - if you have OC48 gear that
is SFP-capable, by all means, use that.

10G CWDM is *rumoured* to exist, but I don't think there are any
production ones yet. Feel free to correct me. 10G is all DWDM, and so far
very pricy.