nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10,352 active botnets (was Re: register.com down sev0?)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 02:51:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Fergie wrote:

Jose's numbers are conservative.

Given some mathematical acrobatics, I'd suggest examining some
of the (shocking) number sin Microsoft's Security Intelligence
Report (Google it) -- these are reflective:

"Of the 4 million computers cleaned by the company's MSRT
(malicious software removal tool), about 50 percent (2 million)
contained at least one backdoor Trojan. While this is a high
percentage, Microsoft notes that this is a decrease from the
second half of 2005. During that period, the MSRT data showed
that 68 percent of machines cleaned by the tool contained a
backdoor Trojan."

Ref: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2036439,00.asp

If you're wondering why DDoS attacks are so effective, look
no further than your backyard.

- ferg

Jose may be a bit conservative with numbers, but he has good data and
shares it, which is more than I can say for some people.

Jose is definitely someone who knows what he is talking about when it
comes to botnets.

These numbers are not really relevant in my opinion, but they help get the
message across.

        Gadi.