nanog mailing list archives

Re: Collocation Access

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:23:34 -0400

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:06:57PM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

I once was going to a meeting at a colo in Tysons Corner, which will
remain nameless (but you would know it).

Like most of them, it wasn't well marked, and we couldn't find it.
Three of us wound up walking through an open door on the loading dock
and onto the colo floor with no checks what-so-ever. We finally met
somebody, asked where so-and-so's office was, and (after a very odd
look) were told to go out again, walk around the building and go
through security.

But, I always thought that the purpose of most security was
psychological reassurance anyway...

Regards
Marshall

If it's the one I'm thinking of, they closed it and moved everything out
to Ashburn for just that reason - insufficient security.  [I had worked
in that building decades before they moved in, and it was NOT designed
with a data center in mind.]

--
Joe Yao