nanog mailing list archives

Re: 200K prefixes - Weekly Routing Table Report

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:46:26 -0400

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 00:53:37 -0000, Neil J. McRae said:

I think you have seriouisly under estimated that. think of the routers with
distributed line cards then all the boxes that are soon to be a trash can job
because they can't be upgraded.

Hmm.  <looks around AS1312>  2 /16s, I'll be *generous* and say 100 interfaces
that have full routing tables (it's actually probably closer to a dozen).

But I have *at least* 30K user machines on my network that will all either
be stuck on XP or buying a gigabyte or two each for Vista.  Even if my 100K
is off by a factor of 5 or even 10, that's still just a *pimple* on the RAM
sales that will happen even if Vista *flops*.