nanog mailing list archives

Re: analyse tcpdump output

From: Netfortius <netfortius () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:37:00 -0600

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 09:34, Stefan Hegger wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if someone knows a tool to use a tcpdump output for anomaly
dedection. It is sometimes really time consuming when looking for identical
patterns in the tcpdump output.

It would be helpful to get  a diff between SYN and ACK's e.g. Or look for
a pattern in a URL. Or just get some timediffs e.g. when an ACK is send but
client is waiting for data etc.

We would like to decrease time to investigate the cause for an unusual
network behaviour.

Best Stefan

Here are my suggestions:

1. [NOTE: I am biased toward this one, for some personal reasons ;)] I would
highly recommend you to read some of the papers of the gold certified SANS
people - start here:

http://www.giac.org/certified_professionals/listing/gcia_100_781.php

2. Another option is getting Richard Bejtlich's books "Intrusion
Detection ..." & "Extrusion Detection ..." and getting some ideas from that
material.

Regards,
[another] Stefan