nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Announcement spike at LINX

From: Erik Romijn <eromijn () ripe net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:40:27 +0100

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 04:43:47PM -0500, NetSecGuy wrote:
I'm seeing a spike in announcements at LINX in the BGP updates from
RIPE's RRC01 data.  It started around midnight UTC.  Announcements
went from very low to 2K+ and have stayed there.  I'd like to be able
to pinpoint what is causing the increase in announcements but it's not
clear to me what the issue is.

One of our peers sending a full table started flapping every 1-2
minutes.

I'm not seeing the same thing in the Routeviews LINX BGP updates.  Any
ideas?

Most likely only our peering flapped, as we use hold times of 0 and
probably few others do. We know of some routers that do not accept
this, causing flapping.
However, I haven't seen this occur suddenly with a session that worked
properly before. I've asked them whether they made any changes and set
this peering to use a normal hold time. It has been stable for 20
minutes now.

Yes, setting hold times to 0 has disadvantages of which this is only
one, so we are working towards setting this to normal values.

regards,
--
Erik Romijn                 RIPE NCC software engineer
http://www.ripe.net/        RIS operations