nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anycast applicable to Radius Server Farm - further questions?

From: Joe Shen <joe_hznm () yahoo com sg>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 23:47:01 +0800 (CST)

JS> Could it be any problem with AAA procedure?

UDP is anycast-friendly.  Your biggest problems are
likely to be
authentication database replication/synchronization
and merging
accounting records... i.e., nothing really different
from standard
RADIUS deployments.

What I met problem to understand is,

1) Is that required to route traffic from a specific
BRAS to exact one server if DB behind radius server is
syncronized periodically

2) There is two Farm, each has several servers. As
number of paths supported by cisco/Juniper router is
limited ( <= 8 or 16), we could not mix those server
into one farm. is there any way to balance load
between two or more farms automatically?

Load balancing is trickier when RADIUS servers and
NASes live on the
same network segment.  You'll need something a la
Windows Advanced
Server or distributed 802.3ad.  I know of no
turn-key implementation of
the latter;

Do you mean aggregate interfaces of several servers
into one 802.3ad trunk?  I think even NASes and radius
live on the same ethernet, OSPF/IS-IS could establish
equal cost paths.

thanks

Joe