nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL 421 errors

From: Simon Waters <simonw () zynet net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:20:33 +0100

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 22:28, Joe Maimon wrote:

<COUNTER-RANT>
You know, people say things like this a lot. Its not relevant. What is
relevant is how AOL is supposed to know that

On the subject of which I'm in discussion with AOL to get email through that
contains something which is a known spammers trick, because it is also the
right thing to have in our emails <sigh>.

Content is not always a good clue.

a) the email considered for rejection is actually wanted
b) and wanted by AOL employees themselves

I thought these went to aol.NET which has different spam filtering in place.

And if they did know how to accurately determine that, we wouldnt be
having this discussion.

:)

Just point your intended receivers to AOL's help desk.

That just creates Chinese whispers.

For technical issues it really helps if providers can take reports from
"non-customers", or people providing services to their existing clients. This
seems impossible for many big companies.

You get what you pay for.

I think choosing providers carefully can get you more for less.

</RANT>

AOL have employees who regularly read SPAM-L, which is probably a better forum
for such questions. Although in an ideal world "postmaster@" would work, it
rarely seems to with AOL.