nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are botnets relevant to NANOG?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:11:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Rick Wesson wrote:

I am saying I am reading the OARC comments and this is sort of what
it fees like. As much as Gadi seems to appropriate others credit,
Randy Vaugh and him have been doing this work for some time and
deserves some credit so I'd say "have you spoken to them about how
to make their report better" yet instead of "create more".

Yes, we have worked with Gati and Randy Vaugh; infact randy helped me
out today; thanks randy!

There is a difference in how Randy/Gati collect data and how we collect
data. The stuff we publish are from numerous dns based realtime
blacklists and spam traps we run. Other folks black-hole botnets and
capture data.

We both come up with a dataset that overlaps but we don't yet know by
how much. So our data is another view using a different methodology and
isn't supposed to be "better" but confirming of where the problem is and
  estimates of its magnitude.

The more we know, the better. I believe the time for action has come and
gone, but I was not born a pessimist. :)

If the first step is to de-"classify" what's public so that people are
aware of what's going on, I say bring it on.

Great work, Rick. Beer is on me this defcon.

        Gadi.

-rick