nanog mailing list archives

Re: Geo location to IP mapping

From: "Todd Vierling" <tv () pobox com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:55:56 -0400

On 5/15/06, Ashe Canvar <acanvar () gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,

Can any of you please recommend some IP-to-geo mapping database / web service ?

I would like to get resolution down to city if possible.

The gold standard is MaxMind GeoIP.  http://www.maxmind.com/

There are a couple "free" ones I've seen, but they are quite a bit
less accurate.  I can't think of them off the top of my head.

As a major caveat, all geolocation services do have some degree of
inaccuracy, because the sources of data are very diverse.  (Some ISPs
provide complete subnet maps to MaxMind and other providers, whereas
some data is scraped from WHOIS or provided by inference from
end-users.)